British Airways London to Las Vegas: 10th Anniversary
Friday October 25th 2019 marked the 10th anniversary of the launch of British Airways’ nonstop service to Las Vegas from London. The flight helped put Las Vegas on the map as a destination that could sustain an international direct service and helped position the city as a leading short-break destination for the UK market.
To maximise opportunities for media exposure, the Las Vegas UK PR team drafted and distributed a press release based on the ‘top ten reasons to visit Las Vegas as British Airways celebrates 10 years of flying direct from London’ which included the following suggestions:
- THE ‘ENTERTAINMENT CAPITAL OF THE WORLD’: With some of the world’s most iconic performers playing regularly, Las Vegas is the perfect place for those seeking the finest in performance and fun. Current headliners include the incomparable Lady Gaga, AEROSMITH and Gwen Stefani to name just a few. Las Vegas’ entertainment scene doesn’t stop there, as Cirque du Soleil continues to stun guests with their seven shows ranging from The Beatles LOVE and the classic Mystere, to their latest addition, R.U.N, a live-action thriller at The Luxor. From comedy at the Jimmy Kimmel Comedy Club to the cabaret style of ABSINTHE, Vegas’ entertainment scene continues to evolve!
- WORLD-CLASS DINING AND MIXOLOGY: Foodies and cocktail connoisseurs are guaranteed some unforgettable dining experiences in Las Vegas with a number of restaurants spearheaded by globally renowned chefs including Wolfgang Puck, Nobu Matsuhisa and Gordon Ramsay to name just a few. From delicious local eats in Downtown Las Vegas to laid back spots for enjoying dinner with friends, there is a cuisine for all tastes. Further delicious options include Roy Choi’s Best Friend, EATALY, Block 16 and the Container Park in Downtown Las Vegas. No foodie experience is complete without a delicious cocktail to accompany the meal and Vegas is home to some of the best mixologists around. Guests can enjoy a selection of carefully designed cocktails at a number of the Strip’s bars, such as The Chandelier at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, and the incredible cocktail collective at The Venetian Resort, comprised of Rosina, The Dorsey and Electra.
- THE NEW SPORTS CAPITAL OF THE WORLD: In recent years, Las Vegas has proved itself as a world-class sports capital. After celebrating their record-breaking inaugural season in 2017, the Vegas Golden Knights ice hockey team broke the record for most wins by an expansion team in their first season. 2020 is set to be a particularly exciting year as the Oakland Raiders become the Las Vegas Raiders, a major milestone for sports fans in Las Vegas. The new NFL Allegiant Stadium, scheduled to open in August 2020, is set to be one of the most advanced arenas in the world. As well as the Raiders kicking off the 2020 season in their new home, Las Vegas will also host the NFL Draft in 2020. Boxing, UFC and NASCAR also continue to thrive in the destination continuing to provide visitors with amazing sporting events and entertainment.
- SHOP ‘TILL YOU DROP IN LAS VEGAS: With unparalleled retail centres offering everything from high-end boutiques to high street stores, Las Vegas is an amazing shopping destination. Unmissable shopping outlets in the city include The Forum Shops at Caesars Palace – a benchmark shopping mall that mixes first-rate luxury retail, great entertainment and stunning Roman-esque interior design and The Grand Canal Shoppes at The Venetian Resort Las Vegas which boasts surroundings modelled on Venetian canals and architecture. Las Vegas is also home to outlet malls including the North Premium Outlets where shopaholics can browse the hugely discounted stores in the outdoor village-style mall, known for its consistent and great-value offers on over 175 designer labels.
- TAKE A BREAK AND UNWIND IN LAS VEGAS: Visitors can have an unforgettable Vegas vacation from the comfort of their robe by experiencing the city’s amazing selection of spas and wellness experiences. Whether travellers are looking for an indulgent massage, the best spa or simply the chance to unwind by the pool, Las Vegas has it all. For those keen to stay healthy whilst in the city, Vegas’ gyms at each resort are a great place to start. With state-of-the-art equipment, the facilities open early for guests to fit in a workout before heading out for the day. Exciting exercise experiences include yoga on The High Roller at The LINQ Promenade and an invigorating Sweat 60 class at The Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, as well as the recently opened SoulCycle at Wynn Las Vegas. For those looking to combine exercise with live music, the Rock ‘n’ Roll Marathon takes place every November and is one of the United States’ oldest marathons.
- PARTY THE NIGHT AWAY ON THE STRIP: As a leading destination for club-goers and party lovers, Las Vegas does not disappoint and is home to some of the world’s biggest DJ names, who appear year-round for residency performances. With a frequently star-studded line up which includes Cardi B, KAOS provides one of the most lavish and exotic clubbing experiences in Las Vegas. Other venues, such as OMNIA at Caesars Palace and TAO at The Venetian Resort Las Vegas provide the perfect atmosphere for an evening of music and great DJs, including Calvin Harris and Zedd. The Vegas party scene doesn’t only thrive at night, as its daytime scene takes advantage of the beautiful weather and offers up some amazing pool parties to relax in the sun and party the day away. JEMMA at Park MGM is the perfect choice for those keen to relax whilst Wet Republic at MGM Grand is a lively multi-pool fest with big names like Steve Aoki playing regularly.
- EXPLORE DOWNTOWN LAS VEGAS: Located five miles north of the Strip, Downtown is the historic centre of the destination which was incorporated as a city back in 1911. No visit to Downtown Las Vegas is complete without witnessing the Fremont Street Experience, a canopied street which connects some of Vegas’ oldest casinos. Visitors can stand under an interactive screen made up of two million lights and gaze up at the nightly light shows or watch street performers draw in a crowd. For the best view, take a ride on the slot machine-themed SlotZilla zip line, which travels 1,750 feet all the way down the street. There are plenty of cool bars in Downtown to suit all tastes, from the Laundry Room to Velveteen Rabbit, the Downtown Cocktail Room and Atomic Liquors – Vegas’ oldest freestanding bar. Food wise, Downtown Vegas offers everything from modern eateries such as Therapy, Carson Kitchen and Park on Fremont, to classic dining at Oscar’s, Hugo’s Cellar and Triple George Grill.
- SAY ‘I DO’ IN LAS VEGAS: With approximately 80,000 marriage licenses issued annually, it’s no wonder Las Vegas is one of the most popular cities to get hitched. Whether couples are looking for a traditional wedding ceremony or something more alternative, Vegas offers couples nuptials like no other. Couples can opt for a stunning bespoke wedding package at Wynn Las Vegas or in the gardens of Caesars Palace, or choose something a little more alternative, including a ceremony at the Grand Canyon or above the Strip on The High Roller. For those looking for an iconic Vegas backdrop to say ‘I do’, Bellagio Hotel & Casino offers packages for couples to tie the knot in front of the erupting fountains to a song of their choice.
- EXPERIENCE THE GREAT OUTDOORS JUST MOMENTS AWAY FROM THE STRIP: Located in the Nevada desert, Las Vegas is just a short distance from a number of thrilling outdoor activities. Visitors to Las Vegas can find themselves enjoying a champagne breakfast at The Grand Canyon after a short helicopter ride, or cruising through the desert to explore the Valley of Fire. History enthusiasts can head to Boulder City to witness the magnificent Hoover Dam or perhaps try their hand at kayaking on the Colorado River. For adrenaline junkies, Flightlinez Bootleg Canyon offers zip lining experiences for all ages, and just 30 minutes from the Strip, adventurers can cruise to Red Rock Canyon in a Pink Jeep.
- INCREDIBLE FESTIVALS AND EVENTS IN LAS VEGAS: Las Vegas hosts a range of colourful festivals each year for foodies, music lovers and art enthusiasts alike. Each September, Life is Beautiful comes to Downtown Las Vegas where 18 blocks of the Downtown area transform into a buzzing hive of premiere music acts and artists showcasing their craft. From street artists to headline performers that have included the likes of Childish Gambino, Florence and the Machine and The Weeknd. For EDM lovers, Electric Daisy Carnival at the Las Vegas Motor Speedway in June incorporates various styles of dance music including trap, bounce, techno, bass and house and the festival attracts big names including Andy C, Hardwell, Alesso, Vini Vici, W&W, Axwell and Tiesto.
In addition to the press release, the team organised a 10th birthday cupcake delivery featuring images of various attractions across Las Vegas as listed in the press release which were printed on each cupcake. One box of cupcakes was delivered to travel editors at the top ten consumer and trade media houses on the day of the anniversary.
The Las Vegas UK PR team successfully highlighted the route to key UK trade and consumer media, and secured coverage across online publications as well as social media coverage.